Friday 4 September 2009

Final major project

For my major project I wanted to make fabrics that used unusual elements as the starting point. Having met a lovely young lady Ellie Dobson at a mutual friends party, I discovered that she worked for CERN (the large hydrongen collider project in Geneva) and interested in seeing how she worked as a particle physicist met up with her in Oxford where she was finishing her PHD to talk more about her work. She showed me beautiful photographs and computer generated images that they used to plot and predict how the atoms would react on collision. She also introduced me to particle physics theory and I found the graphs and diagrams that they used strangely beautiful. It was these that I used as the starting points of my ideas. Below is the starting drawing for a fabric I am calling 'quark'. I rotated and layered the diagram, filling in the gaps with colours and building up the background. I then used this fabric to upholster a much loved chair to give it a new lease of life.


No comments:

Post a Comment